Thursday, August 11, 2016

What I'm Loving Now - Tame my frizz please

Help!  I have turned into an African-American woman.  Just my hair, that is.  This did not start yesterday.  I realized a few years ago that my hair texture was slowly but surely changing.  Symptoms?  Not holding the color: 6 weeks turned into 5 turned into 4.  My hair was dry and frizzy from the roots and uncontrollable.  My whole life I never had problematic hair but I did now!!!

I decided to start searching on YouTube for videos of how women of color dealt with their hair and I got enlightened from that.  I would rake coconut oil through my hair, too!  That did work but it was just a little too much grease for my Caucasian hair.  So my friend who is from the Dominican Republic, Melissa, turned me on to Mixed Chicks and it was a match made in heaven.  It is a product made by two females who are children of bi-racial parents. Mixed Chicks was just the hold I needed to give volume to my curls while keeping the frizz down at the same time. Depending on how much product I used, my curls would range from defined to crunchy. These women spend a lifetime battling their hair from when they’re born so they are masters of the game.  The next product I experimented with was Carol’s Daughter’s Marula Curl Therapy Diffusing & Styling Lotion.  That gave me more softness with less curl definition.  Melissa gave me another potion she used which was called Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioner.  I like this one, as well, and that also gave me more softness.  It all boils down to the timing of my coloring cycle.  When my hair is freshly colored, I can get away with a lighter product because my hair is tamer.  Once my hair to close to needing color again and my roots are showing, I need a much stronger product that will control the unruly texture.     

Of course, the NY summers filled with humidity certainly don’t help the situation LOL.  Time to move?  Not yet – I am still playing with my hair potions and loving the results thanks to my mixed chick friends who have helped me see the light:)

Mixed Chicks
http://www.mixedchicks.net/wendilevykimetheredge.html

Marula Curl Therapy
http://www.carolsdaughter.com/

Cantu Shea Butter           
http://cantubeauty.com

No comments:

Post a Comment