Tuesday, December 13, 2016

EW! Body Odor

Sorry if I have been knocking you out with my B.O. lately!  If you didn’t notice, that’s great.  My deodorant has stopped working:( I have used Crystal Deodorant for many years with much success.  Lately, I have been noticing a very strange odor coming from my underarms and I was really baffled.  Then I started to do some research and realized I was not alone.  So I will share my journey with you in case you or someone you know is having this experience.
Many of you may know that deodorants and antiperspirants are not the same. They are two different solutions for the same problem. It’s not actually the sweat that smells, it’s the bacteria under your arms that when mixed with the sweat, make that ever so infamous body odor. Deodorants neutralize the bacteria and absorb odor and usually cover any smells with a perfume or “scent”. Antiperspirants actually prevent sweat by plugging up the eccrine ducts under your arms. This way, the sweat can’t get through to the party to mix and mingle with the bacteria, thus, no smell.
Because deodorants and antiperspirants work differently, they have different active ingredients. Most antiperspirants contain some sort of aluminum salt which is very effective in stopping perspiration. Make sure to read the instructions for these products. Antiperspirant recommendations usually suggest putting it on at night, when you are clean, so it can dry and plug up those sweat glands when you are not sweating. Deodorants are usually more effective when applying that day.
Researchers still don’t know exactly why our bodies reject these products over time, but the most popular opinion is simply that our bodies adapt. Plus our bodies change every 7 years.  So what once worked before, ceases to work now.  You can try these simple tips. If you still don’t find success, talk to your doctor about possible prescription deodorants and antiperspirants. 
1. Read the Labels
Understand what you are currently using. Is it a deodorant? Is it an antiperspirant? Is it a combination of both? If you are currently using a deodorant, try an antiperspirant or vice versa. When you choose a new product, always use according to the instructions of that particular product.  I switched from my deodorant to a Mitchum antiperspirant and it did the trick immediately and I stopped sniffing my underarms LOL.  I am not crazy about blocking my ducts but a girl has got to be popular, right?
2. Switch brands
Because the current theory is that our bodies adapt, switch up your tactics. Confuse those sweaty arm pits. Make sure when you switch brands, you change up the active ingredients. Check the label to see what the main ingredients are and then try to find something a little different then what you are using. For me the ingredient that made the difference was Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrate (25%).
3. Try what has worked for others
You can read and research all you want, but there is something to asking advice from friends. Ask around. Google it. Go to forums and blogs find out what works for people like you.  That is exactly what I did. Good luck:)

No comments:

Post a Comment