Saturday, March 17, 2018

Be The Best Version of You


I get it – sometimes we wake up feeling downright ugly and out of step with the world.  We just want to put the covers over our head and take a “mental health day”.  Trust me, there is nothing wrong with this, so indulge yourself.  People pick my brain all the time on how I live my life and what I do.   I always say it should not be about unreasonable expectations that are put on us by our society and culture.  It is about being the best version of you.


There is tremendous pressure on us to stay young.  We are bombarded with pictures of Hollywood celebrities that are looking more perfect as they get older.  This does not seem real and, guess what?  It isn’t.  I admit that this can make you feel insecure – looking in the mirror and seeing that line that you know was not there yesterday.  Those crow’s feet around your eyes and a little extra skin at your neck.   All of this can make it difficult to accept the changes that are coming your way as the years move ahead – especially for women.  These changes also occur with our body – you are eating the same way but you notice you are metabolizing your food differently and you are putting on a few pounds.  Perhaps they are around the waist which is where we tend to collect those little buggers as time marches on.  Did you ever notice that men never go there with this conversation?  They don’t need to because they just have another slice of pizza with a beer chaser.  They are just fine with their love handles.  So #bowdowntotheboyz – they have the recipe! Learn how to embrace and accept the changes that occur with each passing day and find happiness within yourself.  What makes YOU happy?  This is different for everyone and very personal - so it requires you taking a good look inside yourself.

We need to redefine aging.  It’s all about confidence.  How is it that someone who weighs way more than you can hold their head up high - you can tell they are enjoying life every day.  You say “how come I don’t feel that way?”  That person has found peace within their body.  They are being the best version of themselves.  Age is just a number and so is that number on the scale.  Throw them both out, stop making everything a number, start to embrace life and think about what you really want.  Don’t let our judgmental culture dictate what you should be doing.   Move away from the pack and be different. 

Feeling sexy is all in your head and it’s about focusing on what you have now and not what you used to have. Do you honestly feel you need a little extra help?  There is nothing wrong with that.  The market is being flooded today with botox, fillers, stem cells, plastic surgery procedures, etc.  I admit that I have indulged and taken advantage of the genius and expertise of my friend and Master Medical Aesthetician, Sonia Correnti of Angelic MediSpa.  I like to be transparent, open and honest about all things in my life. If I need a little help from my friends, I am not embarrassed to admit it.  You do need a licensed professional, though, or you will end up looking like Dr. Spock, a chipmunk or a combo of the two. Where do we draw the line? My goal is for each person to decide what makes them feel good.  What bothers me is that we are bullied into thinking that we need all of this at a much earlier age.  Botox at 20 disturbs me – at 50 we can certainly justify it.    

Let’s not obsess –  just be natural and realize that the recipe to being the best version of ourselves is exercise, eating right and good grooming and the rest will all fall into place.  The real word you need to focus on is CONSISTENCY.  It is not about doing all of this for two weeks and then abandoning the concept.  The second word is BALANCE.  In order for you to be consistent, you must find a realistic balance.  You should be searching for a lifestyle that will allow you to maintain your looks and that will, in turn, bump up your confidence.  Confidence is really hard to sustain in our society.  Think back to that overweight person that I was talking about before and you will see they have it nailed!   It is never too late to learn from others.  Remember - the guys are rocking it LOL:)
  
So, I leave you with something to ponder and some inspiring hashtags…………..

#nojudgements
#noexcuses
#bethebestversionofyourself
#theboyzhaveit
#iamcomingbackasaman
#confidenceispower
#focusandtherestwillfollow

Link to Angelic Medispa www.angelicmedispa.com


2 comments:

  1. Great commentary Phyllis. Being the best version of yourself is really the best advice I take away from this as I approach 49 next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maura - I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad you appreciated the message:)

    ReplyDelete