Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Mission of Mercy

I recently spent some time in San Diego attending my nephew’s graduation from the Naval Medical Center in Balboa Park.  He has really achieved so much in such a short span of time – coming up on his 29th birthday he is an accomplished Doctor in the Navy practicing Internal Medicine.  Whenever he is put in a “Doctor situation” I am always amazed at the wisdom and compassion that he exhibits for someone of his age.  I truly admire that in him.  Which is why I am not surprised that he was chosen for a rotation on the USNS Mercy which departed San Diego in May.  First stop for the #Pacific Partnership was Dili, Timor Leste which is where James flew to meet the ship in early June.  Timor Leste is located in southeast Asia just northwest of Australia.  The Pacific Partnership is the largest annual multilateral humanitarian assistance and disaster relief preparedness mission conducted in the Indo-Asia-Pacific.  This year’s mission will include more than 600 military and civilian personnel from the US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea and Japan.  I am delighted that he will be working alongside professionals from all these countries.  It is a great way to exchange information, learn from others and establish long lasting friendships and bonds.  He will be getting “some salt on his uniform” as they say in the Navy.
 
James is certainly without the comforts of home on the ship, having to bunk with several others and share communal showers and toilets.  Certainly not my style – for me camping is the Holiday Inn LOL.  Another hardship is his cell phone which is virtually useless there.   Our only means of communication is a special Mercy email address that was assigned him.  He waits in line to use a computer in the library for the chance to email us.  In addition, they have satellite service from the ship for a very brief phone call home.  You also stand in line for this!!!  The only thing I stand in line for is Starbucks.  It kind of humbles you when you realize that we take it for granted that we can speak to our loved ones from our cars as we are driving from place to place or text them at the drop of a hat. These sacrifices that our military personnel and their families make is often gone unnoticed.  I am proud of the fact that I know James will live through these experiences and look back fondly at a time in his life when he was able to serve his country alongside others who also take pride in doing the same.  
 
·    In his honor and while he is serving on the USNS Mercy,  I have changed my FB cover photo to the one of us taken together at his graduation.  Every time I open my page, it is a remembrance of that beautiful sunny day in Balboa ParkJ
 
For more information on the #PacificPartnership, please visit their website:  http://www.cpf.navy.mil/pacific-partnership

No comments:

Post a Comment